Tuesday 21 October 2014

Developer Days 2014, Wrocław, Poland

I haven't been going to many IT events recently, so Developer Days in Wrocław, was a nice refreshment. I'll note down all the interesting buzzword I've heard and a small wrap-up of some of the lectures I've attended.

1. Keynote: The present and future of .NET by Tomasz Kopacz

Every lecture by Tomasz is a pleasure to listen to, and choosing him to lead with the first morning lecture was a wise thing to do. His energetic speech worked better than coffee and was full of interesting tid bits from the .NET world. He maintained this throughout all his lectures.

2. Use all of Visual Studio and be a better developer by Kate Gregory

This lecture was a bit of a let down, especially for any developer who uses resharper extensively. The target audience was around junior .NET dev level. It was nice to listen to Kate however because she's a very good lecturer and previously I really enjoyed listening to her in several .NET rocks podcasts she attended.

3. Architecting an ASP.NET MVC solution by Andrea Saltarello

Because I'm a complete newbie in terms of web development I was expecting some in-depth MVC knowledge as a requirement for this session. To my surprise  the session focused on several js libraries/frameworks and SEO, which I was happy to find because of my meager knowledge on the subject.

Some keywords:

- schema ( schema.org ): by adorning html elements we're able to tell webcrawlers what type of data each element displays
- sitemaps ( sitemaps.org ): adds information about different sub pages of the website available for the webcrawlers
- google dev tools: has a free possibility of testing how "crawlable" is any given website
- bootstrap ( bootstrap.org  ): allows for building a website which easily changes layout to fit available screen space
- template engine chooser on github: http://garann.github.io/template-chooser/

I'll probably add some additional pieces of information once I read up on them more

No comments:

Post a Comment