Sunday 22 December 2013

Microsoft Technology Summit 22nd October, 2013 Warsaw

       I wanted to post a short summary of the Polish MTS and my experience of it since just after the MTS. Finally found some time to go through the lectures again and do a small write-up. I've heard several bad reviews of the previous events in Warsaw, about how they were nothing more than a marketing event and how badly planned they were. I was going to see the event with slightly mixed feeling but also a wanting to see it all by myself. Contrary to what I heard earlier the event was really interesting and I enjoyed nearly all sessions I selected for myself.

The lectures:

- Async in practice by Jakub Binkowski
   I've seen several lectures on this topic and I was wondering whether I can get anything more from seeing        another one. The lecture was really good and focused on mistakes often made in multi-threaded                    programming using async and await and how difficult they are to diagnose.

- Adventures in the underland: what passwords do when no one is watching by Paula Januszkiewicz
   Very entertaining session, Paula speaks with passion and great fluency, adds a bit of humour to every            topic. I haven't seen a better Polish speaker yet. The session touched on different ways of grabbing a            password off of unsuspecting users. Although some of it seemed to be added just to wow the audiance.

- What's New in Visual Studio 2013 for Application Lifecycle Management by Brian Keller
   I didn't read, listen or watch much on VS 2013 earlier, so this was definitely an interesting session for me.      It was about the project and task management mechanisms added to VS. I really liked how you could          connect and synchronize your tasks with lines of code, and do your code reviews - facebook style.                Practically it's like adding a little jira / trello to your source code. These were just some of the many                features presented.

 - Modular Javascript Typescript code by Maciej Grzyb
   A really informative session about using type script for creating more maintainable javascript code by            introducing namespaces. I wanted to take a look at either typescript or coffeescript for some time already,    but could never find the time to. This was a very good introductory session for me despite it focusing on        namespaces.

 - Entity Framework 6 - open access for all by Piotr Bubacz
   Quite a typica tech walkthrough, with some of the hurdles of older EF versions finally resolved.

Overall it was a pretty good conference. I'm still hoping though one day we will have a conference of the NDC caliber in Poland.

No comments:

Post a Comment